Friday, April 14, 2006

Forget Me Now, But Remember Me Later

"What if," I started asking, "I could forget about something for now, and then be reminded of it when appropriate?"

Just read this on Jason Womack's GTD blog. Jason is one of David Allen's trainers. David Allen is the creator of the Getting Things Done (GTD) principles that ResultsManager uses as a foundation.

I thought it perfectly described how I've come to use the Someday/Maybe option in ResultsManager. Because sometimes in the heat of scheduling on-the-fly, I'm not sure what the deadline is or I don't yet have enough information to set one.

But it is important and I need the assurance that if I flag it, that the software will remind me again in a timely manner. Then I can let it go out of my awareness and make room for other stuff that's time-sensitive.

But I need to be confident that the app will sweep it up and flag it and that it'll be put in a scan-at-a-glance section of my next dashboard.

So he gets points for a great question. Those same points get subtracted as he continues:

"A version of that question (and I always talk about this in seminars) sent me on a two-year search for "my" system."

Well I say, let ResultsManager manage it. Doesn’t take 2 years and you don't have to search for the system -- it's already created for you. Don’t need to trial-and-error your way through a solution -- the folks at Gyronix have already done that.

And above all -- it automates what a lot of people (way too many) are doing with pen and paper.

Hate to run the risk of sounding like a cheerleader for ResultsManager, but realistically -- it's a pretty damned good piece of work.

And that should be acknowledged.

Acknowledgement Done. Send.

P.S. - Since I'm doing acknowledgements, Jason gets props for a very thought-provoking post. I've subscribed. I want to read more what he has to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home